Ancient Naples

back 

via chiaia – principale palaces and squares  


Our itinerary begins from Piazza Trieste e Trento, from here between 1500 and 1600 Domenico Fontana realized via Chiaia to connect Piazza del Plebiscito with the seafront. This zone began to become populated around 1700 when for order of Ferdinando IV the Gate of Chiaia was demolished and subsequently at the end of the XIX century was realized via dei Mille. To the place of the Gate of Chiaia were built Palace Sant' Arpino and Palace Ottajano. You can admire the Bridge of Chiaia erected in 1636 to connect the Hill of Pizzofalcone with that of the Mortelle, which appears as a triumphal arch; through an elevator and a staircase you can reach the zone of Monte di Dio. Then we will find the Theatre Sannazaro (1874). Close to the theatre there is Palace Cellamare built in the XVI century as residence of country of the abbot Carafa and then of the Prince of Cellamare; inside there are four rooms splendidly frescoed. To visit the eighteenth-century Church of Santa Caterina in which are guarded the remains of Regina Maria Clotilde of France, here buried after having devoted part of her life to works of charity. Continuing this itinerary we arrive in the nineteenth-century Piazza dei Martiri one of the most elegant of the city, designed by Enrico Alvino, once it was occupied by the gardens of a medieval abbey. Part of the square belonged to the Duke of Calabritto who in the beginnings of the XVIII century built his palace then restructured by Luigi Vanvitelli; always in Piazza dei Martiri to the place of the seventeenth-century House Cocozza was built in 1746 Palace Partanna and on the opposite side Palazzo Nunziante (1855).

 

 
  services
hotels/boarding-houses/hostels/refuges , cash dispenser, pharmacies , breakdown service, post office, bar/restaurants, telephones , taxi , oeno-gastronomic typical products
 
  practicable ...
by bicycle, on foot
 


© Azienda Autonoma di Soggiorno Cura e Turismo di Napoli  All rights reserved
design & engineering